Stadium Stats

Watford FC moved to Vicarage Road in 1922 after it had been playing for 23 years at a ground on Cassio Road. Their first match at the new ground on the 30th of August 1922 against Millwall.

 

Capacity: 21,977 (all seated)

Address: Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER

Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER

Club Nickname: The Hornets

Year Ground Opened: Was officially opened by Col. Charles Healey of Benskins Brewery 1922.

 

Sir Elton John Stand on the East side of the stadiumVicarage Road Stadium has recently been expanded with the opening of the Sir Elton John Stand on the East side of the stadium. It was further expanded six months later, with additional rows of seating to the front of it.

 

Pitch Size: 115 x 75 yards

Pitch Type: Grass

Undersoil Heating: Yes

Shirt Sponsors: FxPro

Kit Manufacturer: Adidas

Home Kit: Yellow & Black With Red Trim

Away Kit: Red With Black & White Band

Telephone: 01923 496 000

Fax: 01923 496 001

Ticket Office: 01923 223 023

 

A new Reception and Club Shop, which was the place supporters showed their respect and signed book of condolences for the Late Graham Taylor OBE.A new Reception and Club Shop, which was the place supporters showed their respect and signed book of condolences for the Late Graham Taylor OBE.

 

After purchasing the freehold of the stadium from Benskins in January 2002, Watford's financial situation forced them to sell and lease back the stadium later that year.

 

However, after a campaign entitled 'Let's Buy Back The Vic' with donations coming from fans, as well as celebrity former owner Elton John donating the entire proceeds of a concert held at the venue, the club was able to repurchase the stadium in September 2004.

 

 

Vicarage Road Stand

Previously an open terrace, the Stand was built following the 1992–93 season.

It cost £2.3 million to build and had a capacity of 5,800 people.

 

The Rookery Stand

Built over the course of the 1994–95 season cost £1.6 million to build, with a capacity of 6,960.

 

The Graham Taylor Stand

previously named after former FIFA president Sir Stanley Rous, was renamed for the 2014–15 season, taking its name from the club's most successful manager Graham Taylor.

Built in 1986, the £3 million development that replaced the Shrodells Stand, was partly funded via a loan from Elton John.

 

The Sir Elton John Stand

The Stand sits on the east side of the ground, contains the changing rooms & tunnel.

The stand was fully opened on 13 December 2014, in a ceremony attended by Sir Elton John.

 

Tickets cost £36.00 for a seat behind the goal or the lower Graham Taylor Stand, £40.00 for the Sir Elton John Stand, and £42.00 for the Upper Graham Taylor Stand.

 

The teams come out to the old theme tune of the old Police series Z-Cars, as Watford fan Robert Hill explains; 'this started in the 1963-64 season when Z Cars was at iits height on television. It was a favourite programme of the then Manager Bill McGarry and he asked that it be played at Vicarage Road. That season turned out to be a successful one of the Hornets and it has been continued to be played at the ground.'

 

 

The stadium initially began for Greyhound racing in 20 October 1928.

 

Contact us today!